Discussion in 'DIY & MYOG' started by Gadget, Jan 19, 2016.
A 25g kite for the week at coast but wasnt used as there was not a breeeez...huh..
Nice! I downloaded a couple of patterns with a view to making one before the summer holidays but never got around to it.
Nice. Can you suggest a good place for complete beginner kite making info?
I have a sewing machine (hand powered Singer 99k, bentwood box, from c1930) and have been looking for a suitable project to use it on.
Pair of trekking pole handle adaptors, similar to TT ones but with a webbing & buckle instead of Velcro, seems to work very well, just put over the handle & yank the strap to secure; only took 4 attempts to get it right. They come in at 8g each but I just used what I had laying around (210g/m2 Robic, 12mm webbing & an old pair of laces), still got to trim the strap & laces so probably ~ 6g when finished.
I finally got around to completing my MYO Bivi, it’s only been ‘in progress’ for a year.
A bit of a different design to that normally produced, bathtub base has a slight coffin shape, 55cm wide at head & foot, 70cm wide at the torso, 200cm long; 40D silnylon (~48g/ m2). Top is Membrane 10 (~22g/ m2) with a no-see-um mesh window. Girth is 205cm around the torso which is amply sized for me, winter SB, X-therm & room to move (similar in size to an MLD large). Zipper is standard #3 YKK with two double sliders extending to around 100cm down each side (makes LH & RH entry easy).
Unlike most bivi the zipper runs around the top of the window to enable it to be left open & tucked out of the way, my preferred mode, the head panel & flanks gives fairly good draft protection.
Weight came in at 203g (MLD 215g), a fraction over the estimated 197g which I guess is probably down to me not including the seam allowances in my estimate. Material cost was ~£70 (RBTR) plus import taxes (but lots of bits left over for other wee projects).
Another wee project completed the Solo Emergency shelter (e.g. bothy bag), 139g inc attached bag, a lot light than my old 350g Rab 2P shelter (even 100g weight saving over the Rab Superlight 2P & a lot cheaper).
Very nice !
What was the material ?
What fabric did you use?
Bit of a mix; main body (red) is some cheap 36g/m2 silicone coated nylon from AliExpress, seat is heavier 40D RBTR silnylon, foot/ bag rest is another piece of the AliExpress stuff; colour co-ordinated for use bum = black, grey = feet/ pack.
The AliExpress stuff while being waterproof isn't the stuff I'd consider for a ground sheet or tarp (probably low hydrostatic head) but suitable for this application IMO as well is stuff sacks. I've tried in the rain & it doesn't leak, obviously I seam sealed it before hand.
I did tailor the size down to suit ME (1.7m, 65kg) which should reduce tendency for annoying flapping; two simple trapezoids 1.5m long, 1m high one end & 0.75m the other; felled the seams then 'nipped' across the top corners to produce more of a box shape (15cm @ head & 25cm across foot/ pack end), 50cm wide bum & 30cm wide foot pieces then sewn in.
Looking forward to the pic with it in use.
I hike solo so there'll probably be limited pics......interior = a pair of boots & a pack in a red hue.
IMO they're not the beast for trekking (in an emergency I'd just wrap myself in the tent fly) but good for when I'm not carrying the shelter e.g. off to a remote bothy, excursions from a base camping in winter, etc.
Separate names with a comma.