Discussion in 'DIY & MYOG' started by Gadget, Jan 19, 2016.
More images in this Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/o7vM8jX
Finished off my first MYOG IKEA backpack build. Many thanks to those who helped with sourcing materials, answering my questions and creating wonderful resources that I read
Dimensions (roughly) 30cm(W)x20cm(D)x65cm(H) =40L internal capacity. The load lifters are attached to the point where the internal frame ends, this is also the length I am using for the dimension. Collar can be extended by another 10cm or so, giving it a maximum internal capacity of ~45L.
Hip belt pouches: 30g per (x2)
Frame: 100g per sheet (x2)
Removable hip belt pouches that are attached by 2 straps that goes over the hip belt. This is further secured by threading the bottom half of the shoulder strap (half with the anchoring point) through 1 loop, meaning that if I do unclip my hip belt and take my backpack off, the pouches are not going to fall off. The pouches are made to be on the large size to accommodate for my camera lenses as with my Osprey packs the hip belts were just too small to either fit my 40-150mm or 12mm f2 in. Fitting my lenses in the pouches would allow me to change lenses on the fly rather than having to take my backpack off and putting my lenses down or getting a mate to hold it.
Padding in the shoulder straps and hip belt are made from generic roll mat I got for £3 from home bargains. It's wrapped in some ripstop nylon that I bought from eBay for £4.
The backpack was hand stitched entirely by me. The stitching took 60-65 hours to complete. Researching and sourcing materials probably took another 30-35 hours, meaning the whole project took around 100 hours from start to finish.
Google spreadsheet of the cost of components
Load lifters were added on after the bag was completed and I tested it with a light 5kg load. Didn't like the way that my hip belt wasn't taking as much weight as I'm used to (Osprey backpacks), so I sewed on the load lifters to help with transferring the weight. Took it for a quick 2 hour walk around town with 7ish kg loaded and felt fine. Looking to take it out on my next hike although with moving and whatnot I'm not sure when I'll be able to do that
That level of hand sewing requires special effort and dedication, looks great......doffs cap!!
Richard, that’s very impressive, you should be very pleased with it
You have won Treklite for the week.
Busy afternoon of sewing....
for Mr el
You or somebody else ??
Edit. ….. just re-read "somebody else" - give Mrs El a
Well after building the tyvek pack last month, I've wanted to make another that I can go out and use. I wanted to get a feel for different fabrics so ordered up some VX07 and 21.
After Richards post last week, where he calculated the time taken. I put a stop watch timer going while working, drawing out, cutting, stitching and snagging.
Gathering - getting everything I need in the work room. - 7 minutes
Marking out, drawing out all pieces on the back of the VX - 11 minutes
Cutting - 17 minutes - 3 blunted exacto blades later
Creating Pockets - 43 Minutes
Attaching pockets plus all other external components - 23 Minutes
Sewing the pack - 3 Hours, 11 Minutes
Snagging - 22 Minutes.
Total Time 5 Hours, 5 Minutes
VX21 - Straps, Pockets, Belt and Back Panel
VX07 All other panels
110gsm Polyester mesh
Dimensions Bottom to shoulder straps, 520x30x15 - Volume circa 24 Litres
Pockets add approx 5-8 Litres
Bottom of bag to top with 4 rolls 630x30x15 - Circa 28 Litres
What mesh it that Dave? Where did you source it - thanks.
Nice pack by the way
Mine was marked as 2nds 110gsm when it arrived but this is what I ordered. I could not see any issues with the mesh at all.
Thanks - he looks a useful seller. Additionally where did you get your tyvek fabric - it’s the softer stuff I assume. I’m having trouble finding it by the meter. Thanks.
Also checkout these guys, my spacer mesh came from here and they do some nice fabrics, mesh, 3dmesh - https://toughfabrics.bigcartel.com
The Tyvek came from eBay, cant send a link as the seller is no longer registered
Looks really good Dave, lightning quick too!
I’m pretty sure I would have taken more time using an electric machine. These old hand cranks give so much more control and for a novice like me are more forgiving.
I am really impressed as a collective and the quality of what you guys have made.
As someone who can just about sew on a button, I totally agree.
Nice pack Dave. Big front mesh pockets are winners and I think you've got those pleats in just the right place.
Of all the sellers I deal with from Ebay, Mark at Toughfabrics is about my favourite. Everything comes very quickly and well packaged and his descriptions accurate. I've had many metres off him over the years now and it's always high quality, seconds are usually very good from him.
210x80cm. 270g. Made last year and it's sat unused as I like my PU coated grippy bottom bathtubs that don't slide around. It's the 12th iteration of trying out different methods, corner struts and fabrics.... thought I'd better post one up.
This one is from 75d sil polyester. Used for first time this week and I like the higher 125mm sides, shorter elastic and single LL3 adjuster.
DSC00705 by turnerminator, on Flickr
DSC00614 by turnerminator, on Flickr
Still got 35m of that that I've not opened yet looks great
I've got a light skin pack I don't use because the shoulder straps are meh, that looks so cool think I'll fit some better straps on mine
My first myog. Started simple. A polycro ground sheet for my trailstar. I ran some gaffa tape around the edges and some in the middle where the pole goes. I might cut the middle section out and add a couple of tie out points to the front.
Separate names with a comma.